Thursday, February 4, 2021

After Dark Ice fishing for Trout

 DON'T PACK IT IN EARLY!  The great thing about short winter days is two prime time fishing periods in relatively close proximity.  Meaning you can hit first light and last light without having to wait too long in between. 

Growing up fishing for walleye I am used to staying out till it is too dark to see your rod tip any longer.  When moving to British Columbia I noticed most guys pack it in during the afternoon right before the bite picks up again.  Usually I'll be the only guy out when the fish start to feed again.  Especially early ice where fish often feed very shallow.  I find the last light bite also brings in the larger fish and some of my biggest trout of the day are taken in the dwindling light.  It's like they go on a feeding frenzy and forget about being cautious when biting a hook.  This may be because they can't see as well.  Whatever it is I'm telling you if you don't mind leaving in the dark then by all means stick it out a bit longer. 


I usually use the help of a jaw jacker or jigging jaw jacker at night.  Put it in a shallow hole 3 to 5 feet where the trout will cruise.  That way I can pack up my gear and still be fishing.  The night I caught these two after dark I had about 6 hits on the jaw jacker and landed three brook trout while packing up. 


I have to say the nightshot mode on these newer phones is crazy.  These pics were taken when I could barely see the fish. 


@jawjackerfishing

@circle_tackle


#nightfishing #brookie #brookchar #BROOKTROUT #trout #troutfishing #icefishing #bigtrout #easternbrooktrout #earlyice #firstice #britishcolumbia #gofishbc #fishingbc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ice Fishing Tactics Best Jigs and Lures

BACK TO ICE TACTICS... WHAT JIG or LURE???? This is a vast topic otherwise I wouldn't have tackle cases loaded with lures. But after yea...